Happy Halloween!

Halloween costumes are a big deal at our house. Each year the kids come up with an idea and then together we figure out how to make it happen. It’s a creative challenge I always look forward to and it almost always involves papier mache, a visit to Goodwill and at least one trip to Home Depot roaming the aisles for things we can re-purpose for parts of the costumes. This year my daughter was a mailbox! It was a lot of fun to put together (who knew Home Depot sells replacement mailbox flags for just $3.49!) Since she wore it all day at school we had to hinge the post so she could sit down.

This was the first year my son didn’t trick-or-treat (ah, they grow up too fast) so there was just one costume to make this time. But here are some photos from past years.

Mailbox Costume

This year’s costume – the Mailbox. It’s amazing what you can do with some cardboard and silver spray paint!

Star Wars Sand People Costume - My son had so much fun wearing this costume. (What's not to love when you look scary and get to carry a big weapon!) It took a lot of scrounging through plumbing and electrical parts at Home Depot to make the mask and the weapon.

Star Wars Sand People Costume – My son had so much fun wearing this costume. (What’s not to love when you get to look scary AND carry a big weapon!)

The Mona Lisa

The Mona Lisa – This might be my all-time favorite. The frame was made from corrugated cardboard and hinged to the  background at the top like a sandwich board. The background had elastic straps built in so she could wear it like a backpack.

 

Book Worm Costume

Book Worm Costume – My daughter came up with this idea and even sketched it out for me. The green fabric had a previous life as a jersey knit bed sheet before I spied it on the clearance shelf at Target. It was funny watching her try to run from house to house in this costume!

2 thoughts on “Happy Halloween!”

  1. Paula
     ·  Reply

    The Book worm costume is amazing!!! My daughter wants to be a book worm this year. Can I ask how you made the body segments on the worm?

    • Kris
       ·  Reply

      Thanks Paula! The worm was made from a jersey knit sheet in 3 parts — head/hood, body and tail. For the hood, I paper mached a balloon to get the round shape and then stretched and glued the fabric to it. For the body, I cut a piece of the fabric big enough to wrap around her, folded it in half and sewed 7 channels into it. I stuffed the bottom 6 channels with batting and then sewed the piece together at the back, creating a tube. Next I sewed the tube together at the shoulders and cut armholes in the top channel. The tail was made in a similar way and sewed to the bottom edge in the back. Hope that all makes sense! Good luck, have fun and let me know if you have any other questions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*